Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hiking in the river through the Narrows/ Temple of Sinawava


Oh how we love the Narrows, it is one of the most beautiful parts of Zion.  The Virgin River begins to run through all of Zion National Park Starting a good 18 miles north of the Watchman Campground, where we camp and play in the river.  We take a bus 8 miles north into the park and start our hike on a 1 mile paved path called the Temple of Sinawava.  Then we hike in the Virgin river until the walls start to Narrow on us.  Thus the Virgin River Narrows.  We only hiked in about a mile and a half because it is a slow tromp through rocks, the current pushing against us, and not to metion 5 small children.  Hyrum and Aaron really wanted to keep going but we knew it would get too strenuous after a while.  Hector and I hiked in 3 miles or so about 8 years ago and hurried out because it started to rain and we feared flash floods which do occur sometimes.  We have promised the kids we will take them farther in when they are older and stronger.  The farther in the more beautiful and amazing the walls become that have been carved by the river.  These pictures do not do justice to the actual beauty.  It truly is an amazingly beautiful adventure.  This is one National Park no one should miss.




5 comments:

Suzy said...

Wow!! How I wish I had come with you guys. Your pictures are BREATHTAKING!! Looks like you guys were in paradise. I miss Zion! and you guys!!

Bessie said...

I'm so excited I discovered your blog!!! I had no idea you had one. Now I can see my babies every now and then. Give them a big kiss for me.

Brenda said...

Your family looks beautiful. What a good looking family you are. I wish we had been there with you. And our whole crazy family and Mom too! I miss you all a lot right now. I long for lazy days watching David Archuleta on youtube.

cynthia said...

Beautiful pictures!! Your boys are so handsome! One day soon we will all hike in there togeter! Remember when mom watched our first little ones so we could hike in and those guys thought we were twins! Ahhhh, memories! I can almost smell Zion!

Brenda said...

Ya people would think I was triplets with you two also. Except I look younger and thinner than you both!!!:) HA HA